The Real Time Google Penguin Algorithm is LIVE
Google Penguin 4.0 is officially part of Google's Core Algorithm, according to an official statement given by Google on September 23, 2016.
"Penguin is now real-time. Historically, the list of sites affected by Penguin was periodically refreshed at the same time. (…) With this change, Penguin's data is refreshed in real time, so changes will be visible much faster, typically taking effect shortly after we recrawl and reindex a page. It also means we're not going to comment on future refreshes."
The “real-time feature” implies that effects of the Penguin algorithmic filter, i.e. demotions and promotions of organic rankings for a website due to link spam (unnatural links) happen faster than in the past. In the past, every Google Penguin update brought drastic changes.
Penguin 4.0 is the last Penguin update in history. There will be no other update.
Important points about the Real Time Penguin
- The Google Penguin positive or negative signal is now recalculated on crawl. Link Detox Boost is therefore the perfect tool also to "test & try" links effects and not only make the disavow work.
- Google Penguin now not only affects the whole site (or not). It has its impact on all levels like domain, folders, pages and probably also keywords and keyword groups. So anything that goes into the organic rankings will now be affected by the Penguin algorithm on a fine level.
- Because of 2. it will be harder to diagnose "small Penguin penalties" in many cases.
- Since Google Penguin will be more granular, it can mean that an aggressively SEOed part of a website trips the Penguin filter, while other parts are ranking fine. This will makes doing a competitive research using Competitive Link Detox (CDTOX) for every main topic a site covers more important to understand different risk level standards.
- Because of 4 the "Subfolder Analysis" Feature of Link Detox (launched 2014) will become one of the most popular features to diagnose and fix Penguin bases ranking issues (in conjunction with Link Detox Boost).
- The "Filter Slice Feature" that Link Detox and LRT have for years will be very helpful to analyze the risk per groups of keywords, groups of source domains, countries, types of links and many more.
The internet started going crazy about the Real Time Google Penguin
SEOROUNDTABLE announced the Google Penguin roll out right after Google announced it
— Barry Schwartz (@rustybrick) 23. September 2016
Penguin is now realtime and part of the core algorithm. It took a while to launch it, but totally worth the wait imo https://t.co/ItQM8XxuQ5
— Gary Illyes (@methode) September 23, 2016
Some remember the nightmare of the Google Penguin 2012 launch...
What we recommend moving forward with Google Penguin 4.0
It’s still early in this update.
However some principles remain and one new aspect is the game changer – “Real Time”.
How much real-time that “Real Time Penguin” might be, it’s going to be a lot more frequent.
But there’s still network and processing power needed for all those massive crawls and calculations,
so I wouldn’t be surprised if “real-time” really translates into weekly or daily.
Link Risk Management, the practice of proactive link audits and disavows gets, even more, important
for your business – and we always recommended to do it on a weekly basis. Maybe faster in the future.
The post-penguin basic principles for link building and SEO remain
- A link can help or hurt - positive to negative effect, vs. positive or nothing pre-Penguin
- You need to analyze your FULL backlink profile – it’s about ratios. It’s wrong to think that the few percent
that Google Search Console gives you in links would be enough to audit. And don’t show any penalized sites,
so you’re definitely missing out if you’re not aggregating all sources you can. LRT was made for that.
- Use a machete, not a scalpel for bad links – I know that it’s tough to let a so-so link go, but remember it’s about ratios
- Disavow shady scraper links – Google has better things to do than detect all sorts of scraper spam, so they put it on us
- Be careful with redirects – as I found out in Penguin 2.0 update Google passes penalties on with redirects for a while now
- Be careful with redirects 2.0 – temporary redirects are handled differently than just a few years ago and can convert into permanent redirects. Did you know?
- Content relevance and the “AI” part – “Rankbrain” is here – Google rolled out their new machine-learning in October 2015 that can and will impact search results.
this will make results, even more, unpredictable for Google themselves as well. Let’s see how this works out.
SEOs have been waiting for the Real Time Google Penguin for months now
We got a false Real Time Penguin alarm in January
Awaiting the major Penguin update in January as announced by Google after shifting it for many months, we called Google Penguin 4.0 to start already.
What looked like Google Penguin 4.0 was a core algorithm update that was bigger than Penguin 3.0 last year and almost felt like the massive Penguin 2.1 in 2013
Gary Illyes mentioned that the Google engineers are “still testing”, but for me this looked like the “final release candidate.”
Gary and Zineb Ait (in French) today confirmed - after almost 48 hours of waiting for a useful statement that this major shake up
is indeed a core algo update and not (yet) a Penguin update.
— Zineb Ait (@Missiz_Z) 12. Januar 2016
— Gary Illyes (@methode) 12. Januar 2016
This means, that it was technically a Panda update, but Panda was integrated into the core algorithm, so is therefore no more a separate update they need to confirm.
Hey wait, but if Penguin goes real-time, that would mean it also needs to be integrated into the core algorithm... hmnn food for thought, if it's not Penguin (the thing attached on top of the core, but the same link spam analyis component integrated into the core, would it be ok to say it's "not Penguin"?
Last night I then wondered if Google's John Müller and Gary actually continued the practice of confirming Google Penguin Updates, and remembered, that from End of October til December (!) in 2014 we were wondering if and how the Google Penguin 3.0 rolled out. I even found that post where Google's John Müller confirmed in December 2014 that Penguin would be an "Everpenguin" already the "Real-Time Version" of Google Penguin that was confirmed yet a year later.
I already heard some people expect Google Penguin 4.0 in March 2016 - no idea where that date comes from, but apparently Google themselves are unsure on what RankBrain, the Google Core algo and all those attachments to it - be it the past Panda or the (maybe still external filter) Penguin algorithm be if confirmation takes a day or two from official spokesmen.
Anyways, read on to see my perspectives from January 10 and what led me to call Penguin 4.0 rolling out.
It was a lot of work and I guess some people still haven't read it.
The only update with the greater impact on search results was PayDay Loan update back in May 2014.
I firmly believe, based on my experience, the history of Google Penguin and what I’ve seen the last days,
this is the Google Penguin 4.0 rollout, the real time update.
It might be not finished yet, maybe just a pre-test or the beginning of how “Real Time Penguin” will continue to look like.
I’ll update the post as Google confirms a full rollout of course.
But looking at what we see, they are shaking it up across the globe already with Penguin 4.0.
Because of the real-time aspect, Google can shuffle different markets and verticals
independently, and that’s exactly what we have seen since the New Year’s Eve.
Read more below about ongoing discussions in our LRT Associate forum.
The SERP fluctuations on serp.watch also looks crazy.
At the same time, Mozcast seems to miss the party over the weekend and stops Jan 8
With the Superhero Plan you can perform link audits, link cleanup, link disavow boost, competitive research, professional SEO and backlink analysis for your own or your competitor's sites.
You can avoid a Google Penguin Penalty! Learn all about the Real-Time Google Penguin Update in this free webinar.
Join our free 21 Day Link Strategy Training below
Signup to receive snack sized bits of knowledge about Link Research Strategies, SEO Tactics & features of LinkResearchTools platform and technologies.
Bonus: signup you will also receive a free copy of the eBook "7 Golden Rules of Link Building" for immediate download.