Internal links are links that go from one page on a (sub-)domain to a another page on the same (sub-)domain. They are commonly used in main navigation but are more helpful when embedded in the actual content of a website, to help the reader navigate.
Internal links are useful for five reasons:
- Internal links allow users to navigate a website
- Internal links thereby help establish information hierarchy for the given website.
- Internal links help bots to discover (new) pages on a website
- Internal links help distribute link power and link trust through the website.
- Internal link help control anchor text keyword relevance inside the website, thereby influencing search rankings
Categories: SEO Basics