Google confirmed they will launch the next Google Penguin Update as real-time update. Read more here.
Google Penguin 3.0 Launched on October 17
Google Penguin 3.0 update timeline
Friday, October 17: SEOs started to notice changes to their rankings and murmurings started on Twitter
Sunday Morning: There were still thoughts that this was not the Google Penguin 3.0 but Google Panda 4.1 with extra teeth
Sunday Afternoon: Confirmation through Barry Schwartz
Monday: Some recoveries, some people feeling disappointed general confusion from Google as to the whole process.
— Marc Enzor (@MarcEnzor) October 20, 2014
— WildShark SEO (@wildsharkseo) October 18, 2014
A US Real Estate company we did a Google penalty case study with here say they recovered (congratulations from the whole team to Elika Real Estate and our Certified LRT Professional Andrew Edwards)
Monday Night: Barry concludes that the Penguin 3.0 rollout is done and this comes from a video from John Mueller
Barry posts this update to his Google+ account and there John comments that he might have spoken too soon.
Tuesday Morning: Pierre Far, of Panda 4.1 announcement fame confirms that the rollout will take weeks.
Thursday Morning: Barry Schwartz, posted a new article "Google Penguin 3.0 Updating Again?" The rollout looks to be still going.
"Google Penguin 3.0 Update Rollout – Analysis and How to Understand It" published
Wednesday:"Computer Repair Business recovers 300% with Penguin Update 3.0" published
Thursday Afternoon: Christoph C. Cemper hosted "Google Penguin 3.0 Update First Findings & Insights"
Saturday: Christoph C. Cemper help a presentation at the SEOZone14 conference in Istanbul where he presented his findins about the recent Google Penguin update.
2.5 weeks later (4th November): Barry just announced that the Rollout is still going "Google: Penguin 3.0 Update Still Rolling Out Slowly"
Over 6 weeks later (27th November): Bartosz Goralewicz was the first to notice that there another jump in rankings and he called it Penguin 3.1 He later asked Barry Schwatz to confirm this through twitter as many others did as well
Friday, 28th November: Barry picked up on this and wrote "I can't believe what I am seeing and hearing - a Google Penguin refresh that hit on Thanksgiving, Black Friday weekend? No way!" This is something that Google promised never to do but everything was pointing to Bartosz being right.
Calm weekend with a little chatter on Twitter and speculation on some of the more popular SEO Forums:
Monday, 1st December: Barry got confirmation from Google in a very short statement "The Penguin rollout is ongoing, and this is just the effect of that."
Bartosz followed this quickly with another post talking about Penguin 3.1 (the #ForeverPenguin) being recovery only
Wednesday, 3rd December: In a Google Hangout John Mueller more or less confirmed that the hope for this Penguin 3.0 update is that it will never stop rolling out, in fact making it the #ForeverPenguin
From SEO Roundtable:
Penguin 3.0 Recap from SEO Roundtable based off of the update this morning from Pierre Far
- Started rolling out late Friday night, October 17th
- Will continue to roll out for next few weeks
- Is a worldwide roll out
- Impacts less than 1% of English queries
- Only a refresh, no new signals added
The other known points come from information coming from John Mueller and Gary Illyas is that the Penguin updates will be more frequent and rolled out over a longer period of time. This means there is no time to drown your sorrows, it is time to put the coffee on and get back to cleaning up your profile. Remember, the big business period of Christmas is just around the corner.
As you can see
— Sean Mullins (@sowebdesigner) October 21, 2014
Link Detox, Link Detox boost and some hard work will pay off.
What does the Penguin Update mean for me as a business owner?
It is time to redouble your efforts no matter if you have been hit or not.
Remember that SEO is something that needs to be done often, it is not something that is just done once in a while. Your website is your livelihood and you should treat it with the respect you would a physical store or your home. Don’t let the wrong people mess with your livelihood, the right professionals and the right tools are what you need.
Recover – Protect - Build
Do not think that if you weren’t hit this time or that you recovered that you are wearing a magic cloak of invincibility and do not rest on your laurels. It is time to protect and build a stronger profile. You/your website will always be in either the Recover – Protect – or Build phase probably a combination of the three.
What might the Penguin future hold?
Over the year I have made some bold predictions, such as mass and unnatural link building will be punished. Seems that one came true!
Now I keep reminding that No Follows can still harm your backlink profile.
So here are a few more that might be interesting to consider for the future:
- Is this the moment where Google hits “Unnatural Social Visibility”? - Social Media links might be the next target, this is an extension of the No Follow prediction. Sloppy, quick links generally get punished in the end. The gaming of social has been targeted by Facebook, why not Google as well? It would be yet another interesting signal.
- Has Google finally gotten to a technical level where it can roll-out Penguin specific penalties and recoveries to certain countries, niches and even single sites? It very much looks like it and it would make a lot of sense for Google.
- Google is definitely trying to catch every link spammer or make their lives harder. It doesn’t look like it at the moment, but is this just the calm before the storm?
Google seems to have targeted certain 301 redirect practices again – as they did with the Penguin 2.0 update
The main points:
- SEO is the Long game – Keep working hard to get a clean backlink profile regardless of what the Penguin Update did to your site.
- This is the start of a whole no rollout pattern, it will be possibly more similar to Panda updates in the future
- The results are not fully in yet – we will be keeping you up to date as and when they come
- This is a new phase in Penguin history so there may be some bumps in the road, see the various messages coming out of Google HQ
- If the link is quick and easy to get, mass produce then you are playing with fire.
- You are in one of these SEO phases Recover – Protect – Build no matter if the Penguin hit you or not.
- Take a deep breath. Recovery is a process, not a button
How about sites you monitor? What are you seeing?
Share your insights with me here
The best contribution wins
Expect more updates in the next hours and days.
Keep coming back here
Christoph C. Cemper
As with previous Penguin Case Studies, we are working hard on cracking the Penguin algo in order to educate our users and community about techniques for your SEO and Link Building strategies.
We will research the Penguin 3.0 update in multiple case-studies and analysis workshops as part of our Certified LinkResearchTools training and certifications in the coming days and weeks.
Download this Free 100+ pages eBook! 3 Years of Google Penguin Updates. Contributions from 29 SEO experts!
Google Penguin Update History
This will be the sixth Penguin update by Google. Here is a history with our Case Studies for respective updates.
- Penguin 1 on April 24, 2012 (impacting ~3.1% of queries)
- Penguin 2 on May 26, 2012 (impacting less than 0.1%)
- Penguin 3 on October 5, 2012 (impacting ~0.3% of queries)
- Penguin 4 (AKA Penguin 2.0) on May 22, 2013 (impacting 2.3% of queries) - here are our case studies
- May 23, 2013: First Deep Dive into a Penguin 2.0 Penalty of HOME24.DE
- May 28, 2013: Deep Dive into the CheapAir.com Penguin 2.0 Penalty
- Jun 1, 2013: Deep Dive Analysis of the Penguin 2.0 Penalty of Reeds.com
- Jun 14, 2013: Elearners.com Penguin 2.0 Penalty – the 4th Deep Dive Analysis
- Jun 21, 2013: DebtConsolidationcare.com Penguin 2.0 Penalty
- Jun 26, 2013: ConcertHotels – another Penguin 2.0 Victim – Spam Links
- Jul 2, 2013: How does Pure Spam look like? A deep dive into FittedWardrobes
- July 16, 2013: Tradebit – A Penguin Recovery Case Study
- July 23, 2013: Deep Dive Into TVRage.com’s Penguin 2.0 Penalty
- July 23, 2013: Aftermath of Penguin 2.0 – Icelolly.com SEO & Backlink Audit
- Aug 21, 2013: Directline.com – A UK Penguin victim got lost in spammy link networks
- Aug 28, 2013: Compare The Market – Really another Penguin 2.0 victim?
- Sept 5, 2013: Lifed.com - How Penguin 2.0 Killed a High Traffic Blog
- February 14, 2014: Deep Dive into the Tarifcheck24.com Google Penguin Penalty
- March 4, 2014: Cheapoair Penalized by Google’s Penguin Algorithm Again
- March 19, 2014: Fondsvermittlung24.de: Success Story of a Google Penalty Recovery
- March 19, 2014: Crying like a Baby – Penguin 2.0 Loser www.baby-markt.de
- April 2, 2014: Penguin Punishes Health Site for Unhealthy Backlinks: A Case Study
- August 30, 2014: Google’s First Commandment – Thou Shalt Not Hack
- Penguin 5 (AKA Penguin 2.1) on Oct. 4, 2013 (impacting ~1% of queries)
- November 19, 2013: Penguin 2.1 Penalty surprises Make Money Online website
- November 19, 2013: Penguin 2.1 Penalty surprises Make Money Online website
- November 29, 2013: Penguin 2.1 Loser didn’t Learn Lesson after being Hit by Penguin 2.0
- December 4, 2013: Hyve.com – SEO Backlink Case Study about Penguin 2.1 Victim
- January 11, 2014: How to Avoid a Link Building Scam and Penguin 2.1 Penalty
- March 6, 2014: Third-party links incur Penguin’s wrath: IphoneFixed.co.uk analysis
- April 5, 2014: Volusion.com Created Link Networks by Using its Own Customers
- April 14, 2014: Trivago.co.uk Can’t Sleep: 95% Loss of Search Visibility
- April 30, 2014: No Link Risk Management: Google Penalty for Auxmoney.com
- May 7, 2014: No Hit for Hitmeister – Google Blasts Their Search Visibility
- May 13, 2014: Reservation Denied! Unterkunft.de Loses Search Visibility
- May 14, 2014: Search Results Drop for New York Real Estate Company
- May 15, 2014: Video Site Drops in SERPs
- May 15, 2014: Google Nails MyHammer.de for Spammy SEO
- May 15, 2014: Ostermann.de Buyer’s Remorse: 65% Loss of Search Visibility
- June 3, 2014: Vivint.com SEO Visibility Plummets from Manual Penalty
- Penguin 6 (AKA Penguin 3.0) on October 17, 2014
- Official Confirmation by Google here and here
- Google Penguin 3.0 Update Rollout – Analysis and How to Understand It
- Google confirms the Real Time Penguin Algorithm is coming
- Google Real Time Penguin - What does it mean for me?
Read other Google Penguin Penalty Case Studies
Penguin 3.0 – last minute recovery
3 Day Link Audit: 187% visibility increase
How to prevent a Google Penalty
Protect Your Online Business From Google Penguin
3 Great Google Penalty Recovery Stories
The key to Google Recovery
Double Manual Google Penalty Recovery + 302 Redirects Hurt Site
302 Not Passing Page Rank? But they DID harm this site...
How to Lift a Manual Spam Action within 3 Days
Small SEO Mistakes Cause Severe Penalty
Bad Subdomains and Paid Links Penalize William Hill
WilliamHill.com Bet Big Stakes on Spammy SEO…and Lost
Referring Domain Spam and Bad Links Finally Caught Up
Did a Mystery Google Penalty Pop Protectyourbubble.com?
Google Penalty for Payday Loans Niche
CashLady.co.uk is a Payday Loan site “Stuck with a manual penalty”
How HugoBoss.com lost 39% search visibility over night due to Google Penalty
Sharp drop for HugoBoss.com and other brands – German link network crack down analysis
How Halifax Bank, one of the largest retail banks in the UK, has been hit hard with a Google Penalty and lost 20% of its SEO visibility overnight
Halifax Bank: Big Brands not Immune to Google SEO Penalty – a Deep Dive [full +250% edition]
How Expedia.com's recieved a Google Penalty and lost 25% in SEO visibility
Expedia.com: A deep-dive into Unnatural Travel Link Schemes
Read our Link Risk Management Guides
Link Building Tips for Small Businesses
Genius Offline Press Strategy for Online SEO Benefits
How to Find Great Link Prospects
SEO Toolbox for Discovering Hidden Link Opportunities
How to Evaluate Your Recent Link Building Efforts
Easily Control the Quality of Your Link Builders
How to Create the Right Link Building Strategy
4 Website Structures to Optimize your Link Building Efforts
Creating a Powerful PBN with LinkResearchTools
How to find high quality, used domains and recover their link juice
How to Dominate the SERPS
7 SEO Lessons from Tripadvisor, the World’s Biggest Travel Site
9 useful tips to use ScrapeBox for your SEO workflow
ScrapeBox - the old Blackhat tool is the new Whitehat tool
Squeeze more Juice out of Google’s Webmaster Tools
How to increase Link Data reported by Google Webmaster Tools (GWT)
Redirects and Link Detox Boost Cure Your Penguin Penalty
SEO Orca Recovery Method Eats Google Penguins
Competitive Domain Analysis with LRT
How to Analyze SEO Metrics and Outrank Your Competitors
The Ultimate Guide to Link Removal
How to Find, Identify, and Remove Dangerous Links
Are Back Links still relevant to Search Engines?
9 Steps - How to Check Your Link Profile
Learn valuable SEO tips and strategies from our case studies!
Sign up below for our waiting list to get our updates to your inbox ASAP
Enter your name and email below to get on the LinkResearchTools Case Study waiting list.
With the Superhero Plans you can perform link audits, link cleanup, link disavow boost, competitive research, professional SEO and backlink analysis for your own or your competitor's sites.
You can avoid a Google Penguin Penalty! Learn all about the Real-Time Google Penguin Update in this free webinar.
Join our 21 Day Link Strategy Training below
Signup to receive snack sized bits of knowledge about Link Research Strategies, SEO Tactics & features of LinkResearchTools platform and technologies.